Thursday 31 January 2013

Laughing at one's self

Feathers.  The goal of every long arm quilter.  Rows and swirls of beautiful feathers.  Well I have pretty well mastered everything else but feathers.  They are like a tickle you cannot find the source of.  So play day today.  I am going to do it.  Magazine lesson in hand; videos of others executing feathers by the ton under my belt.

Well some of them were not bad. Frustrated.  Perfection is not mine today. Then while cooking scrambled eggs tonight I had to laugh at myself.  Of course those people can teach it.  They have mastered it. Their brains and hands are in sync and that translates to a long arm skating across the fabric in a lovely dance leaving behind a trail of Feathers.

Key word mastered.  What does that mean?  Someone gave them a brain DVD to implant?  No it means they practiced and practiced.    Silly me.  I am just looking for a short hand way to get to the same place.  So practice on paper; on cloth.   But I will do it.  Did I become good at tailoring the first time I made a suit or coat?  No.  But in the end I was good.  Same thing for knitting and other things I have undertaken.

Still laughing at me as I put down these words.  We all need to do it once in a while.   It actually relaxes you and gives you the ability to not be perfect but to seek to achieve perfection eventually.  When I get more than 2 or 3 right I will post a picture.  Tomorrow another play day.

No comments:

Post a Comment